Sunday, September 29, 2013

Plum's card




In the BQLPC group, in our ongoing Birthday card exchanges this is my offering to Plum for her Special day.

Each letter was drawn in reverse on some double sided interfacing ( on the paper side), then ironed on the wrong side of the fabric, cut and free motion quilted on the white fabric.

Here are some photos of the process.
I wrote my message with different coloured pencils. 5 colours. Then I knew which fabrics for each letter.



Don't forget to reverse the writing! I drew them freehand, but you could use Word. I thought it would take too long. The glue side of the paper is ironed on the back of the fabric. Then you cut each letter on the line, take off the paper and iron them on your base fabric, glue down. This means they are easier to sew at the next stage.


Here you can see that I just lift my needle when i travel from one letter to the next. I come back at the end to cut the threads.
There is also some polyester wadding under the fabric.

This is after I iron the fabric plus wadding ondo the piece of pelmet stiffener, and back fabric.
The only stage left is sewing around.

I have been around my shape with a zigzag stitch and can now cut the extra fabric.


I went around the card a second time to finish off the edges.
It's finished. Ta-daa!


I know that she received it so can publish it without spoiling the surprise.

I enjoy this challenge, it forces me to follow a deadline, although at the beginning I thought that I would be able to make all my cards in advance. That didn't happen.
I believe there is more diversity as a result .

Enjoy your sewing .

Pascale.

2 comments:

Plum Cox said...

Thank you for sharing the process - I really love the card! Thank you for taking so much time and trouble over it, it's really lovely! x

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

A lovely result!